AC HISTORY – Can ORACLE defy history? September 18 is an auspicious day in America’s Cup history – the only day on which the Cup has been won three times:
- 1930 – Enterprise defeats Shamrock V in the fourth and deciding race
- 1967 – Intrepid defeats Dame Pattie in the fourth and deciding race
- 1977 – Courageous defeats Australia in the fourth and deciding race
- Intrepid (1967, ’70), Courageous (1974, ’77) and Columbia (1899, 1901) are the only yachts to have won the Americas Cup twice.
- 1934, Race 2, Endeavour vs. Rainbow – Endeavour wins by 51 seconds. Held over a triangular course in a wet, 14-knot northwest wind, Endeavour pulled ahead after an even start to go up 2-0 in the match. Needing only two more victories to win the America’s Cup, it would be her last win.
- 1962, Race 2, Gretel vs. Weatherly – Gretel wins by 47 seconds. Gretel caught and surfed a long wave to take the lead with her mast man yelling a war cry as she shot past Weatherly. Weatherly lost her spinnaker afterguy, causing the spinnaker pole to break against the forestay and with it any chance of catchingGretel. The bars of Newport that night filled to the sounds of “Waltzing Matilda.”
- 1983, Race 3, Australia II vs. Liberty – Australia II wins by 3:14 to record her first win in the match. The race was attempted the day before but with Austraila IIleading 2 miles from the finish line and Liberty 6 minutes behind, the race was called off as the time limit expired in light winds. “God must be an American,” claimed Conner. In the second sailing of Race 3, on September 18, in similar conditions, Australia II finished within the time limit to post her first victory by 3 minutes and 14 seconds, the largest victory margin of a challenger over a defender to that date. Conner was asked at the post-race press conference, “If God took Sundays off if he was an American?”
XS WILL BE COVERING TODAY’S ACTION…STAY TUNED!
IF YOU CAN’T WATCH IT ON CABLE ON NBC SPORTS AND ARE ‘BLACKED OUT’ ON YOUTUBE, WATCH IT ON XS, ON OUR LINK TO ‘VIRTUAL EYE’. YOU CONTROL THE ANGLE, ZOOM, DATA, AND MORE!
CHECK IT OUT ON VIRTUAL EYE.
It’s easy to download and operate:
1) Click on the link Virtual Eye (VE).
2) Let VE load up.
3) Click on ‘LIVE’ BUTTON ON lower right of image.
4) Click on Commentary ‘TO LISTEN’.
5) Then use your mouse to control your angle from sky views to on the water views. zoom in tight or faraway to see down the course. Right click mouse controls the angle.