AND NOW A WORD FROM OUR SPONSORS – Speed for sale from XScats. We can make the XS45 cruise or make it fly on foils. Who wants to be the first to make history? Email info@xscats or call 800-366-8584 to get the all details!
XS WORLD SAILING NEWS
- 28 April 2015 00:56:35 Antigua Sailing Week: Blessed with cracking conditions Scuttlebutt Sailing News
Antigua, West Indies (April 27, 2015) – The second day of Antigua Sailing Week was blessed with cracking conditions with well over a thousand sailors returning to shore, grinning from ear to ear after a spectacular day on the water. The south-easterly breeze often softens the wind strength off Antigua but not this week. The warm Atlantic breeze blew in and whipped up as the wind bent around the cliffs and gorgeous bays giving a solid breeze of 15-20 knots. Click headline for full report.
- 27 April 2015 23:54:09 VIDEO: Dauphin Island Race Disaster Scuttlebutt Sailing News The waters of Mobile Bay became deadly when a storm hit the annual 18nm Dauphin Island Race on April 25, capsizing boats and pitching sailors overboard. The race was hosted by Fairhope Yacht Club, located near Mobile, AL. Reports as of April 27, 2015 have two dead and four missing. This video was taken from [&hellip
- 27 April 2015 23:20:17 Volvo Ocean Race: Leverage is Sexy Scuttlebutt Sailing News Itajai, Brazil (April 27, 2015; Day 9) – In sport, there is the conservative, strategic approach. In football, it is the run up the middle or the short crossing route of the receiver. In baseball, it is the bunt to advance the runner. In sailing, it is careful positioning amid the fleet. But the conservative, [&hellip
- 27 April 2015 21:53:16 Tragedy on Mobile Bay Scuttlebutt Sailing News Fairhope, AL (April 27, 2015) – The search continued today for people missing in the waters of Mobile Bay after a storm hit the annual 18nm Dauphin Island Race on April 25, capsizing boats and pitching sailors overboard Saturday. The race was hosted by Fairhope Yacht Club, located near Mobile, AL. Two people have been [&hellip
- 27 April 2015 20:15:40 PHOTOS: Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race Scuttlebutt Sailing News The 68th annual Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race, starting on April 24, 2015. Photos by Leslie Richter Photos by Mary Longpre
Damien Séguin ...
Magic Marine RS800 Grand Prix at Stokes Bay SC Sailweb Sailing and Yachting News The Magic Marine RS800 Grand Prix Event at Stokes Bay Sailing Club attracted 24 entries for a cracking weekends sailing
Cat Sailing News
Nacra 17s @Hyeres 2015: Besson & Riou .... Catamaran Racing, News & Design All images Laurens Morel / www.saltycolours.com , full gallery at Nacra FB --
Who needs Medal Race to define Nr 1? I'm getting out of titles with Billy & Marie winning events with MR to spare.
The Dutch teams, Mandy Mulder-Coen de Koning & Renee Groenveld-Steven Krol, confirmed the 'comeback' reported yesterday, and Bundock-Curtis finished 3rd in the MR for a final 4th overall.
Volvo Ocean Race - Fleet sets up for the high-pressure system Sail-World.com USA Latest News Volvo Ocean Race - The wind has started to drop in the last 12 hours and the breeze is now between 15 and 20 knots.
ISAF World Sailing Rankings - 27 April 2015 ISAF World Sailing RSS The ISAF World Sailing Rankings for 27 April 2015 have been released.
Elusive Line Ups VSail.info It looks like it will be this week, pre Gaastra Palma Vela, before the latest of the newly launched, latest generation TP52s take the chance to line up against each other. Though it is widely acknowledged that being up to optimum speed as early as possible before the 52 SUPER SERIES season starts in Valencia on May 19th is essential, so far the expected plans and opportunities for new boats to line up have just not materialised.
XS Sailing XS Sailing Watch this Antarctica video and get a glimpse of the one-of-a-kind experience of sailing to Antarctica. Whales, seals and penguins greet you throughout the journey as you sail through sea ice and past enormous glaciers.
The Daily Sail
- 27 April 2015 07:39:18 Shaving Brazil Feed of all Daily Sail content The overall strategy for the first south Atlantic section of the Volvo Ocean Race's sixth leg north to Newport, Rhode Island has been about when to put in 'the big tack'.
- 27 April 2015 06:40:32 Another monster fleet for the RORC Fastnet Race Feed of all Daily Sail content The world's largest, most diverse fleet of offshore racing yachts will set sail from the Solent on 16 August in the Royal Ocean Racing Club's biennial Rolex Fastnet Race.
- 26 April 2015 17:57:41 New format ISAF Sailing World Cup event concludes Feed of all Daily Sail content The breeze was up for the final day at ISAF Sailing World Cup Hyères as an exciting series of Medal Races played out across two racing areas.
- 26 April 2015 12:05:08 Ready for action Feed of all Daily Sail content With 25+ knot winds blowing, the final day of the Marseille Test Event for the 2015 Bullitt GC32 Racing Tour, racing was cancelled.
- 26 April 2015 07:15:19 Watch the ISAF Sailing World Cup Hyeres live! Feed of all Daily Sail content Medal Racing is scheduled to commence today at 11:15 CET (09:15 UTC). The schedule as follows: Nacra 17 – 11:15 CET RS:X Men – 12:05 CET
- 26 April 2015 16:54:39 Scott wins gold at World Cup event Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC World champion Giles Scott wins gold in the Finn class as Britain take four medals at the World Cup event in Hyeres, France.
- 16 April 2015 07:53:56 New faces in Jersey sailing squad Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC Jersey select four debutants in their sailing team for this summer's Island Games.
- 10 April 2015 10:54:01 America's Cup series event cancelled Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC The America's Cup World Series will now begin in Portsmouth after the opening event in Sardinia was cancelled.
- 8 April 2015 08:51:58 All-women crew finish bruising leg Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC Team SCA's British skipper Sam Davies says she is happy to be in one piece after finishing the fifth leg of the round-the-world race.
- 5 April 2015 22:28:13 Abu Dhabi win Volvo Ocean Race leg Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC British sailor Ian Walker skippers Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing to victory in the fifth leg of the Volvo Ocean Race.
- Sailors missing and two casualties in Dauphin Island Race mysailing News A storm hit during the annual 18nm race and capsized a number of boats.
- Dongfeng steals a narrow lead in Leg 6 of Volvo Ocean Race mysailing News "Dongfeng is sailing so fast that the team have been taking around half mile on each watch (every four hours)."
- Boat "parked" on the road puzzles police mysailing News Only a stink-boat owner would dream of doing something like this!
- The 2015 Beyond Bank Regatta succeeds despite bad weather mysailing News The regatta is open for dinghy, trailerable yacht and multihull sailors.
- Temptation fulfilled in Shorthanded Series on the Derwent mysailing News The Thompson 7 represents Australia's most southern yacht club.
Sailing Anarchy Forums
- 28 April 2015 03:23:54 what is it? Sailing Forums
Pretty cool, yes?
- 28 April 2015 03:20:24 G4 Fail Sailing Forums Oopsy
Photo credit Sharon Green
- 28 April 2015 03:17:11 Team Japan Sailing Forums
Japan launches Red Bull Foiling Generation
Eight two-member sailing teams descended on the port city of Wakayama to compete April 17-19 in identical Flying Phantom vessels, marking the launch of Red Bull Foiling Generation. The finale saw 17-year-olds Shinichiro Yano and Issei Fujiki take advantage of perfect 12-knot wind conditions to get ahead of rivals Eri Fukazawa and Crew Takayama in a dramatic knock-out finish. Yano and Fujiki’s prize for victory is a place at the 2016 World Final where they will be joined by six more national winners. - See more at: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/04/19/japan-launches-red-bull-foiling-generation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook#sthash.LjbilXNC.dpuf
- 28 April 2015 03:10:00 Pulling an impeller Sailing Forums I'm pulling the impeller on my Yanmar 4JH3-HTE for the first time. I had to remove the alternator to get to the raw water pump, which faces aft just below the heat exchanger and in front of the starter where it's maximally inconvenient to access. Nevertheless, I got the cover plate screws out and plate off and now I've got to extract the impeller. I bought a Sea Dog puller (http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2333-impeller-puller) but I don't think it'll fit in the available space.
I'm getting ready to take a pair of long-nose visegrips to the little bastard but before I do, I figured I'd ask about peoples' favorite (ideally non-destructive) techniques for getting an impeller out of the pump in case there's some brilliantly simple and effective technique I haven't heard of.
Thanks for any help.
- 28 April 2015 03:06:52 2015 TP52 season. 1st boat launched Sailing Forums
1st boat launched. Can't say I'm a fan of the paintjob. Faux steel & rivets, but I suppose there's something apposite about a German boat giving a nod to Panzer-like construction.
- 27 April 2015 22:34:00 Coxless Crew April 27 Update Pressure Drop
Day 7 at Sea
I can’t believe we’ve already been at sea for a week. We’re settling into life on Doris, although some quite strong north westerly winds mean that we remain rather frustratingly close to the U.S. Coast.
This morning didn’t start well. After an uncomfortable night, during which we had a rope out behind the boat, I got up feeling unwell. I was then hauling in the rope from our stern and
- 27 April 2015 21:58:00 Follow Up On Dauphin Island Disaster Pressure Drop
The names of the dead and those feared lost after Saturday's Mobile Bay storm are still closely guarded by officials as family members are notified and given space to grieve and, in many cases, maintain hope.
A second night of searching is currently underway in the waters in-between Middle Bay Lighthouse and Dauphin Island.
But the fellowship of southern sailors is a small one in coastal Alabama, and according to one man who survived the Dauphin Island Regatta, the victims were the subject of quiet conversation at Mobile Yacht
- 27 April 2015 21:24:00 A Busy Weekend Of Record Breaking For Phaedo3 Pressure Drop
Lloyd Thornburg and his team came to Antigua Sail Week to participate in three record attempts and has sailed away with a hatrick of records.
On Friday the 24th of April Phaedo3 finished the Guadeloupe to Antigua Race in 1 hour and 27 minutes, beating the previous record set by Mari-Cha IV by 51 minutes
On Saturday the 25th of April Phaedo3 created a new Around Antigua record with a time of In 3 hours 26 minutes and 9 seconds. The previous record was set by Sojana in 2009 with a time of 4 hours, 37 minutes and 43 seconds.
- 27 April 2015 16:47:00 Blasting Back From The Lightship Pressure Drop
Saturday's OYRA Season Opener contestants were greeted with a chilling reminder that April showers are sometimes generated from storms of high latitude. A late season front from Alaska passed through overnight and on it's heels, large, confused swell and brisk north west winds with a bit of a bite. A 2.6 knot ebb that coincided nicely with the 09:40 1st gun swept the fleet quickly out the gate with plenty of breeze inside, and if the air temperature, barely crawling out of the 40's didn't your attention straight off, the large break crashing through the Potato Patch certainly did.
- 26 April 2015 23:46:00 This Chick Has Chops! Pressure Drop
It's not often we get wowed by videos of kitesurfing, but Cynthia Brown has put together a dazzler that is well worth a look!
Check it out!
Volvo Ocean Race
- 27 April 2015 17:59:00 'Speed is your friend' The Volvo Ocean Race Official News The boats are heading for the Equator - their speed is fast, their minds are focused.
- 26 April 2015 20:56:00 Daily Photo Contest The Volvo Ocean Race Official News
April, 2015. Leg 6 Newport onboard Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing. Day 6. Canting keel canting below the waterline as speed builds in the Atlantic Ocean
- 26 April 2015 19:26:00 Good days, bad days The Volvo Ocean Race Official News Dongfeng are enjoying a good day, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing a ruing a bad one
- 25 April 2015 18:31:00 All in The Volvo Ocean Race Official News Team Alvimedica went all in yesterday - and now they find themselves all alone, in the west.
- 24 April 2015 20:25:00 The big tack The Volvo Ocean Race Official News In a race this close, every decision counts. With a big tack to starboard coming up, many predicted that today would have a big impact on the rankings, but few expected it to play out as it did...