AND NOW A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR - If you sail you need battens! And if you know your battens you know the name of RBS. From windsurfing and cruising to high performance VOR 65′s, RBS has always been on the leading edge of batten design. Here is an interview by Pressuredrop.com with Romeo Robichaud and Scott Walsh of RBS Batten Systems from Hood River Oregon on the company origins, products and how battens are created and delivered. For you technical sailors, you will love the detail of this interview as Romeo and Scott take you through their shop.
XS WORLD SAILING NEWS
- 20 August 2014 18:07:42 PHOTO: When waves win and sunglasses lose Scuttlebutt Sailing News Brazilians Alexandre Tinoco and Bernardo LowBeer winning the opening race in big breeze at the 2014 Snipe European Championship on August 20 at Kamien Pomoroski, Poland. Click image to enlarge. Photo credit: Rafal Wolosiak
- 20 August 2014 17:08:57 Fifth World Record in Round Britain and Ireland Race Scuttlebutt Sailing News Cowes, UK (August 20, 2014) – When the tail end of Hurricane Bertha led to the postponed start of the 1800-mile Sevenstar Round Britain and Ireland Race by 21 hours, the decision was in the sake of safety, but the result did little to slow what proved to be a record-breaking race. Following the start [&hellip
- 20 August 2014 16:18:57 Shaggers gather to over indulge and support cause Scuttlebutt Sailing News A group of yachties who are big on fun but low on pretence are turning the traditional notion of snooty bricks and mortar yacht club membership on its head with a club motto of ‘exclusively non-exclusive’ and a nick name widely known as ‘The Shaggers’. The Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club (SICYC) is a virtual [&hellip
- 20 August 2014 15:31:51 Youth Olympic Games reach midpoint Scuttlebutt Sailing News
Nanjing, China (August 20, 2014) – The discard came into play at the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games with the leader boards taking shape at the midway point of the event.
Three races were completed in the Boy’s and Girl’s Byte CII and Techno 293 fleets with the best breeze of the week saving itself for the third day of competition. A north easterly breeze in between 6-8 knots ensured all of the days scheduled races were completed.
The Boy’s and Girl’s Byte CII fleets raced on Race Area B whilst another packed crowd of 2,000 spectators watched the Techno 293 races play out on Area A.
Click headline for full report, photos, and venue map.
- 20 August 2014 00:33:26 Simplification of Starting Rules Scuttlebutt Sailing News by Mike Butterfield (GBR), IU IJ IRO I would like to see the simplification of the starting flags, of which the current Racing Rules of Sailing offers two different parameters for how boats can be penalized: * Line and Extensions: Penalized when any part of a boat’s hull, crew, or equipment is on the course [&hellip
Leaders in the mens are the defending champion Florian Gruber GER and Riccardo Lecchese ITA, both winning all three heats ...
Leaders in the mens are the defending champion Florian Gruber GER and Riccardo Lecchese ITA, both winning all three heats ...
RS200 National Championships - Ian and Chloe Martin regain lead Sailweb Sailing and Yachting News Ian and Chloe Martin of Burghfield SC took back the lead of the RS200 National Championships at Hayling Island SC on Wednesday
Cat Sailing News
Gunboat 55: Launching 'Vandal' Catamaran Racing, News & Design This is one of the coolest paint jobs ever. Edit: Graphics are indeed vinyl wrap designed by a graphic artist, friend of the owners, it was printed & applied by MacDesign out of Newport, RI.
This Gunboat 55 , 'Vandal' is one of a kind among her sister ships. The launch truck is well suited for a 'Gunboat' too. More pics at Gunboat fb page
The other day a client that has bought me 3 RC18
ISAF seeking hosting bids for Nations Cup Sail-World.com USA Latest News ISAF is seeking bids from organizers to host ISAF Nations Cup Regional Finals during 2014-15.
Improvements Aplenty In The Byte CII Fleets At The Youth Olympic Games ISAF World Sailing RSS It was a day of improvements and progression for the Byte CII fleets at the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games with two races completed in the male and female fleets.
Artemis Racing launches its challenge for the 35th America’s Cup VSail.info Today, Artemis Racing officially launched its challenge to win the 35th America’s Cup at an inspirational event in Sweden’s capital
XS Sailing XS Sailing CLIPPER RACE – The world’s longest ocean race, uniquely for amateur sailors – the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race is now 70% full for the 2015-16 edition, following a surge of crew sign-ups. The 40,000 mile, eleven month long event, known as one of the planets toughest endurance challenges will be the bi-annual events […]
Live Sail Die
- 20 August 2014 10:05:45 Resurrection at Audi Hamilton Island Race Week Live Sail Die Thirty years ago at a crossroads Barry Cuneo took the sensible parent-pleasing option and pursued a career, believing he could drop back into sailing any time. He’s on the water all the time as a sea pilot on Port Philip, but when it came to sailing he discovered a large hole in the sport. At [...]
- 19 August 2014 22:59:15 Team Vestas Wind – Splash Down! Live Sail Die Team Vestas Wind are rapidly gearing up and it sounds like they should be going for their first sail tonight (NZ time) so hopefully will get some pictures through tomorrow. In the mean time, here is the latest from the team! Nicolai Sehested shares his thoughts on the race just before the boat’s first taste [...]
- 19 August 2014 21:36:32 Artemis Racing Launches Challenge Live Sail Die STOCKHOLM, August 19, 2014 – Today, Artemis Racing officially launched its challenge to win the 35th America’s Cup at an inspirational event in Sweden’s capital. Guests were treated to a rare chance of seeing the America’s Cup trophy first hand at the Moderna Museet, on Skeppsholmen Island at the heart of Stockholm’s proud maritime history. [...]
- 19 August 2014 20:26:41 Youth Olympics: Day 2 Live Sail Die Improvements Aplenty In The Byte CII Fleets At The Youth Olympic Games It was a day of improvements and progression for the Byte CII sailors at the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games with two races completed in the male and female fleets. No Techno 293 racing was possible with a light fickle breeze on their [...]
- 19 August 2014 20:05:57 8 New boats for 52 Super Series Live Sail Die No Excuse to Lose… Eight NEW TP52s for next years 52 SUPER SERIES, DATES ANNOUNCED Eight newly built TP52s will compete on the 2015 52 SUPER SERIES circuit in fleet which is expected to comprise 12 to 14 boats, including three teams who will be new to the series in Europe, over a five regatta [...]
The Daily Sail
- 19 August 2014 15:50:40 Eight new 52s confirmed for 2015 Feed of all Daily Sail content Eight newly built TP52s will compete on the 2015 52 Super Series circuit in a flieet expected to comprise 12 to 14 boats, including three teams who will be new to the series in Europe, over a five
- 19 August 2014 12:57:08 America's Cupdate with Iain Percy Feed of all Daily Sail content Torbjörn Törnqvist’s Artemis Racing team is in Stockholm en masse today for the official presentation of its challenge for the 35th America’s Cup.
- 19 August 2014 11:45:58 Artemis Racing officially launches its campaign Feed of all Daily Sail content Artemis Racing officially launched its challenge to win the 35th America’s Cup at an inspirational event in Sweden’s capital.
- 19 August 2014 08:52:15 Halfway stage Feed of all Daily Sail content The Whitsundays turned on the best yet for the 182-strong fleet at the midway point at Audi Hamilton Island Race Week.
- 18 August 2014 08:41:34 Whalecome surprise Feed of all Daily Sail content Playful humpback whales on the racetrack at Audi Hamilton Island Race Week breaching next to the race boats in Whitsunday Passage spiced up the on-water action on day two of the six day series.
- 15 August 2014 19:30:24 Rickham & Birrell chase sixth title Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC Alexandra Rickham and Niki Birrell are chasing their sixth consecutive parasailing world title in Canada.
- 12 August 2014 10:45:03 Rio 2016 all about gold - Mills Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC Sailor Hannah Mills says she and team-mate Saskia Clark are targeting gold at Rio 2016 after losing to New Zealand in a test event.
- 11 August 2014 15:55:06 40mph gusts disrupts water sports Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC Strong winds gusting up to 40mph disrupts water sports events across north west Wales.
- 11 August 2014 10:32:27 40mph gusts delay dinghy champs Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC A major dinghy sailing event sailing event is delayed because of strong winds gusting up to 40mph in Gwynedd.
- 10 August 2014 07:26:24 GB win eight medals at Rio regatta Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sailing | BBC Britain win three silver medals and one bronze on the final day of the Rio regatta - a test event for the 2016 Olympics.
- Breeze expected for day three of Youth Olympic Games mysailing News With racing behind schedule the fleets will be trying to catch up for the remainder of the series.
- Cuneo gives kids a chance at Audi Hamilton Island Race Week mysailing News Four youth sailors from RQYS are sailing a Melges 32 for the week in preparation for the worlds.
- Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club invites you to join the party mysailing News The virtual yacht club will host their annual Rendezvous at the end of August.
- Strong presence for Bavaria at the Southampton Boatshow mysailing News Bavaria will stage its largest display ever at the Southampton Boat Show
- Artemis Racing confirms its challenge for the 35th America's Cup mysailing News Olympic champion Rod Davis has been named coach of the team, which boasts six Olympic gold medalists.
- 7 August 2014 02:41:00 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Test Event: Mid-Regatta Report US Sailing Pictured: Charlie Buckingham (Newport Beach, Calif.), Laser August 6, 2014 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – As Day 4 of the Aquece Rio International Sailing Regatta (Olympic Test Event) concludes, US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider athletes remain focused on absorbing as much knowledge as possible about the 2016 Olympic Games venue during their time in Brazil. Good weather conditions […]
- 6 August 2014 23:54:40 Chubb U.S. Junior Championships – Day 1 Report US Sailing TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (August 6, 2014) – Ninety-three confident young racers set sail on West Grand Traverse Bay in the first of three days of racing at the 2014 Chubb U.S. Junior Championships, hosted by Grand Traverse Yacht Club (GTYC) and Traverse Bay Community Sailing (TBCS). Tuesday’s racing clinics and practice races with five of […]
- 5 August 2014 19:30:25 Chubb U.S. Junior Championships 2014 Preview US Sailing TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (August 5, 2014) – A talented collection of the top young sailors in the country have arrived in Northern Michigan and are eager to test themselves this week in single-, double-, and triplehanded competition on the waters of West Grand Traverse Bay. The Chubb U.S. Junior Championships is US Sailing’s most historic […]
- 5 August 2014 12:57:45 USCG Empanelled Standards/Rubrics Experts Team Launches National Validation Survey US Sailing Portsmouth, RI (August 5, 2014) — A team of experts assembled with U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) grant funding seeks national content validation of SAIL boat operation standards/rubrics that will be freely available to the boating public. This is your opportunity to impact the development of free recreational paddling and rowing (canoes, kayaks, rowboats, paddleboards, etc.) […]
- 3 August 2014 14:48:32 Racing Begins at Rio Olympic Test Event US Sailing Pictured: US 49ers training in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. August 3, 2014 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – On Sunday August 3, racing at the Aquece Rio International Sailing Regatta (Olympic Test Event) begins with Rio de Janeiro’s mountainous skyline and scenery providing a dramatic backdrop. For US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider athletes, the event will provide another […]
Sailing Anarchy Forums
- 20 August 2014 17:20:16 Lasers - Applying a Blow Torch Sailing Forums It seems that Bruce Kirby has at last applied a blow torch
Having been through the almost 150 pages of documents presented to the US Federal Court, over a long wet weekend here in the UK, I will not be the least surprised if ISAF decides its needs to back away from its previous position. The 1992 ISAF plaque agreement is so simple even this non-lawyer can understand it. And the 1983 original agreement with the IYRU is too.
It would not be hard to imagine in the next week a direction from ISAF to the ILCA to stop issuing plaques to LP.
If that happens then we are in a new world.
Its been proven many times over that One Design racing does not have to be in the fastest boat, it has to be in a uniform boat, so that the very best sailor emerges from the pack.
We have 200k+ of a 1969 design, so it has critical mass. I sat on Nothe Hill in Weymouth and I saw young Australian Tom Slingsby win Gold.
The best sailor emerged from the pack.
As a Laser sailor I was in awe.
Right now the class needs to move forward, I don't care if its called a Laser or a Torch, if the class insignia is upside down (thanks Torrid)
I just want to go sailing, I want to be able to buy a new boat, buy parts and I want to know that the class is run by honourable people and by builders who pay their design royalties to the guy who designed it.. And yes I want a cheaper legal sail
Am I alone??
- 20 August 2014 17:19:57 Round Britain & Ireland Sailing Forums
Should have started today. 21hr postponement - so they're not sending the fleet out into 50kt gusts.
Have to love a race which calls for a rounding of Muckle Flugga.
- 20 August 2014 17:18:22 check this out...a real bargain in Egypt Sailing Forums
I found this amazing video about yacht for charter in Egypt.
Description : Red sea charter. Fiberglass. Have kitchen. Bathroom. LOL
- 20 August 2014 17:14:35 Weta regattas for Florida Sailing Forums
- Buzzelli in October http://wp.buzzellimr.com/
- Charlotte Harbor in February http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com/
- Weta Fest 2nd weekend in April.
- 20 August 2014 17:14:16 Beneteau 40.7 Cheeki Rafiki missing Mid-Atlantic Sailing Forums More here
- 20 August 2014 19:46:00 Holt and Woelfel Take Lead at SAP 5o5 Worlds Pressure Drop
- 20 August 2014 17:55:00 Team Vestas Wind Splashdown Pressure Drop
Team Vestas Wind launched and performed the man standing on the bulb test today with great success!
It is unclear if man on the bulb performed the ALS challenge, but if he did, who do you suppose he called out?
- 20 August 2014 04:48:00 Corona Recall Pressure Drop
Constellation Brands Beer Division is recalling select packages of its Corona Extra beer that may contain small particles of glass. The voluntary recall covers 12-ounce clear bottles in select six-pack, 12-pack and 18-pack packages containing bottles with the production codes listed below. For all the production codes, click here.
To date the company has received no reports of injuries resulting from the affected bottles.
- 20 August 2014 04:38:00 Crossing the Atlanic in a 14' Open Dinghy Attempt Denied Pressure Drop
Sky News reports that a man intent on sailing from Great Britain to the USA in a 14' Dinghy was save from himself over the weekend by members of the RNLI:
A man has been rescued five miles off the Dorset coast while attempting to sail to America in a £300 dinghy.
The 30-year-old Bulgarian national bought the 14ft vessel from
- 20 August 2014 04:31:00 Red Bull Battle of the Sund Pressure Drop
This is what it looked like as 250 kiteboarders fought for glory across the 40km long Öresund.
Battle of the Sund treated us to an immense display of skill and will as 250 kiteboarders made their way across Öresund. A 40km sound between Denmark and Sweden that was once the scene of a great battle between the two nations. The objective was simple, fastest to get across and back again wins.
Volvo Ocean Race
- 31 July 2014 23:10:48 Dock Talk: Testing The Waters Volvo Ocean Race - Latest News
All but one of the fleet are Britain-bound... and it's time to see what these new boats really can do.
- 29 July 2014 20:53:47 Keeping Score: How To Win The Volvo Ocean Race Volvo Ocean Race - Latest News
The rulebook? Race Director Jack Lloyd wrote it - and tells us why the new one-design boat isn't the only exciting change to this year's race...
- 24 July 2014 20:14:42 Dock Talk: Mind, Body and Spirit Volvo Ocean Race - Latest News
It’s been a busy few weeks for our teams - and now is the perfect time for reflection, refueling and recharging batteries, as the race nears.
- 23 July 2014 13:50:03 Medical Consequences: A Taste Of The Sea Life Volvo Ocean Race - Latest News
Welcome to a world where the home comforts that we take for granted are few and far between...
- 22 July 2014 21:34:03 Reflections: Marina Rubicon Round Canary Islands Race Volvo Ocean Race - Latest News
A look back on a great few days of sailing - and the perfect way to whet the appetite for the big race...